Zucchinis are still growing strong for a little bit longer, so take advantage of your local organic produce, help out a small farmer (as long as they don’t use synthetic pesticides or GMO seeds, since zucchinis are one of the approved GMO crops in Canada and the U.S.) and buy a few fresh zucchinis, use some in your dinner and make a batch of fresh healthy muffins to take to work or school.
Yummy, healthy and a great way to add a small extra amount of vegetables in our diets. 🙂
P.S.: If you don’t have any gluten-free flours, you can still use what you have/prefer, use the same quantities, and adjust the liquid a bit if needed (you might need extra).
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins | Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
A healthy remake on a classic, this simple recipe for zucchini chocolate chip muffins is perfect for quick breakfasts or snacks. Gluten-free and dairy-free
- 1 cup organic brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 cup organic unbleached cane sugar (could be replaced with maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 organic free-range eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup organic strawberry jam or applesauce
- 1/4 cup rice milk or almond milk
- 1 organic zucchini (medium size) shredded/grated and squeezed to get as much water out
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In two medium-size bowls, mix the dry ingredients in one (except chocolate chips), and all the wet ingredients in the other (except zucchini).
- Mix the dry into the wet until combined, add the zucchini and chocolate chips and mix.
- Spoon the batter equally into a muffin pan, lined with unbleached muffin liners. Fill each muffin to no more than 3/4.
- Bake at 400F/200C for 20-23 minutes, or until nicely golden and cooked.
- Cool down completely before eating.
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 286kcal | Fat: 14g | Saturated fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 91mg | Potassium: 296mg | Carbohydrates: 38g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 16g | Protein: 4g | Vitamin A: 110% | Vitamin C: 3.5% | Calcium: 76% | Iron: 1.7%