You probably know by now that pancakes are a weekly breakfast staple in my house. I’ve shared several recipes already, including a healthy multigrain low-gluten, a grain-free/gluten-free paleo fluffy pancake, and a vegan fluffy pancake option, amongst others.
But what about making a quick batch of pancakes for dinner? And I’m not talking about the thin crepes… I mean an actual thick pancake! haha I never add any sugar in my pancakes anyway, so the only ingredient that makes it sweet is the rice and hazelnut milk that I use that contains a small quantity of agave syrup. All I had to do was to switch that milk for an unsweetened milk made with buckwheat or millet (there are so many vegan milks available out there, don’t just settle for rice or soy!).
I think these pancakes could be a great way to entice kids (and big kids) to eat their vegetables 🙂
I used chickpea flour to add a ton of proteins and tasty flavours to this meal, combined with brown rice flour; they’re also naturally free of gluten, and not grains, which make this recipe great for gluten-free and paleo diets. If you’d like to add some whole spelt and rye flour, go right ahead too, these are excellent substitution or added with the chickpea and brown rice.
These could also be great appetizers!
Savoury Pancakes + Roasted Vegetables | Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
Pancakes for dinner? Why not? Especially when they're healthy, like these savoury pancakes and roasted vegetables. Dairy-free and gluten-free
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup organic brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour/starch (if not allergic to gluten, replace with 1/4 cup whole spelt or rye flour)
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper to taste
- 2 free-range organic eggs (or 2 'chia eggs' for vegan option: mix 2 Tbsp chia seeds with 1/3 cup warm water, wait 5-10 minutes and use)
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I used millet)
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 8 oz organic cremini or shiitake mushrooms washed, sliced
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots washed, thinly sliced
- 1.5 cups organic baby spinach washed and dried
- 1 tsp thyme dry
- 1 tsp oregano dry
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- extra-virgin olive oil for cooking
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Mix the dry ingredients for the pancakes into a large glass measuring cup.
- Mix the wet ingredients in another mixing bowl, then combine the wet into the dry mixture in the glass measuring cup, mix, and add the cilantro.
- Pour a small quantity (you should fit 3) in a large pan over medium heat, with some olive oil. 3-4 minutes for the first side and 2 minutes for the 2nd side is usually how long it takes. You want the pancakes to be nicely golden.
- Transfer into a plate and keep in a warm oven while cooking the rest.
- While doing all this, you can quickly sauté your veggies in another large pan with a drizzle of olive oil, over medium heat.
- Start with the onions, cook for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms and carrots and sauté for an additional 5-6 minutes, or until it starts roasting a bit.
- Finally add the garlic, and spinach, and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often and making sure the garlic doesn't burn.
- Serve immediately: give 3-4 small pancakes per person and add vegetables on top, and fresh cilantro and sesame seeds (optional).
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 490kcal | Fat: 19g | Saturated fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 538mg | Potassium: 1178mg | Carbohydrates: 66g | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 13g | Protein: 14g | Vitamin A: 11775% | Vitamin C: 13.9% | Calcium: 176% | Iron: 3.4%
Join our Healthy Community!
Receive Tips, Recipes, our Newsletter
and get a free Guide!
KC Cann says
I made this last night for our Shrove Tuesday dinner. It was absolutely delicious, easily made, felt great in the tummy. Thank you!
Very cool! Glad you enjoyed it. Easy healthy dinners for the win!