I ate something similar at one of my favourite restaurants in the Montreal area last year and decided to make my own version of super quick vegan oatmeal breakfast at home. I still cannot believe how quick and easy it is to make and how delicious and nutritious the result is. I am kind of addicted to it!
It’s such a simple yet perfect winter (or anytime) breakfast. Love it. Pure oat is also gluten-free, so this breakfast is ideal for people with gluten intolerance. Make sure you purchase rolled oats, not instant oats, which is not gluten-free (they mix it with other grains) and also contains barely any nutrients since they are pre-cooked and dehydrated.
Super Quick & Healthy Oatmeal Breakfast – Vegan (2 servings)
- 2 small organic apples (I used Gala), sliced (peeled if you want)
- 2 tbsp organic raisins, no sugar-added (I like Sultana)
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries, no sugar-added
- 3/4 cup organic rolled oats (not the quick cook kind)
- 1/2-3/4 cup spring or filtered water
- 1 tsp high quality organic extra virgin cooking olive oil
- Medium-grade organic maple syrup to drizzle
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and sauté the apple slices for 3 minutes, just enough to soften them, then add the rest of the ingredients, mix and cook on low-medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring a few times, until the texture is like a porridge. Serve into a plate or bowl and drizzle with maple syrup (it doesn’t need much, the sweetness from the raisins and the cranberries will help) and enjoy!
You can also add some fresh berries. Alternatively, don’t add any cranberries and add a pinch or two of ground cinnamon. Delicious!