I stumbled on this recipe for vegan, raw tacos made with walnut meat and a cashew sour cream! I made it several months ago and totally forgot to post! It was so delicious too, I had to post it today! Raw food is sometime misunderstood and seems complicated. I gotta say, it does take a bit of planning, usually because it involves soaking nuts, but with a few easy tips and planning ahead of time, the result is a very fast and convenient dinner, not to mention very tasty and fresh!
This is a great meal for Meatless Monday because it will satisfy most carnivores. The walnut ‘meat’ is unreal! Couldn’t be any easier to make, much faster than roasting meat, that’s for sure!
The shortcut in this recipe is to buy pre-made raw nachos (most large cities have an organic store or organic raw restaurants where you can purchase these. In Montreal, Crudessence sells them in several stores, and in Ontario, LIVE sells their raw products in many stores throughout the province). The reason why I buy these is because a) I don’t own a dehydrator, b) it saves a LOT of time, and c) they’re organic and made with high quality whole ingredients that I trust from these brands.
You can prepare the cashew sour cream a couple of days ahead of time and keep it in the fridge to save time. If you have leftovers, it also makes a delicious dip for veggies! 🙂
Raw Tacos with Walnut Meat and Cashew Sour Cream | Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free
The perfect recipe for Meatless Monday! These raw tacos replace meat with walnuts and use a cashew sour cream. A healthy alternative to a classic meal!
- 1 cup raw cashew soaked for a few hours or overnight
- 2 Tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice fresh
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
Walnut Taco "Meat"
- 1 1/2 cup raw walnuts soaked for 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup organic sun-dried tomatoes soaked for 15 minutes (or use the ones packed in olive oil)
- 1-2 tsp ground chili
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 ripe avocados mashed with fresh lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 small organic zucchini cut into small cubes or sliced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup naturally fermented sauerkraut (optional)
- 1 lime cut in 4-6 wedges
- pre-made organic raw 'nachos'
- To prepare the raw sour cream, simply blend all of the ingredients in a food processor, pulse until smooth and creamy. Put in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- To prepare the walnut meat, simply put all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times until the texture resembles ground beef.
- Assemble the tacos by putting all the components on top of the raw 'nacho' crackers.
- Sprinkle the 'meat' with lemon juice and fresh cilantro.
- Enjoy right away!
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 667kcal | Fat: 58g | Saturated fat: 7g | Sodium: 472mg | Potassium: 1341mg | Carbohydrates: 33g | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 16g | Vitamin A: 3135% | Vitamin C: 29.5% | Calcium: 98% | Iron: 5.5%