Weeknights are always such a rush for everyone, no matter what your situation is, so making quick and easy meals are great! This one might seem like it’s not a simple meal because it technically takes an hour to make… However, it’s one of those meals that takes about 5-10 minutes to prepare, and then it cooks by itself while you do something else. I like those meals too, it gives me time to make a fresh green salad to go with it, and I still have plenty of time to do a load of laundry and clean-up the house a bit while all of this yumminess is cooking!
At this time of year, it’s a perfect easy meal, using all the delicious local harvest produce that are in-season: tomatoes, zucchinis, sweet peppers, garlic, fresh herbs…. it’s like a little bit of Italy on a plate! I would’ve added eggplants, but I didn’t have any!
Very simple rustic dinner, completely vegan if you choose not to add any cheese (or a vegan soy-free cheese). If you’re not vegan or dairy-sensitive, you can add some organic Parmesan or fresh mozzarella. Yum!
This recipe is what I made for 2 people, but you can certainly double it for a family of 4, and you can adjust certain things to your liking, like adding more tomatoes and less peppers, etc. It’s a very flexible recipe. Don’t be afraid of the whole garlic head per person: garlic roasted whole like this becomes very sweet, a real treat in this dish, and quite honestly would not taste as good without it.
Oven-Roasted Vegetable Pasta | Gluten-Free, Vegan
A quick summer meatless meal that takes little effort and is delicious! Oven-roasted vegetable pasta recipe
- 2 organic sweet peppers washed (I used red)
- 1 pint organic cherry tomatoes various colours, washed
- 2 organic zucchinis washed
- 1 small eggplant (optional)
- 2 garlic heads unpeeled
- 1 Tbsp oregano (dry)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil for cooking
- 200 g organic pasta of your choice (I chose gluten-free spaghetti made with brown rice and quinoa - yum!)
- 3 Tbsp organic cheese (use vegan cheese for vegan option)
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts coarsely broken in pieces (I just crushed them in my hands)
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- Cut the zucchini in thick slices, lengthwise.
- Do the same with the eggplant, if using.
- Cut the sweet peppers in thick slices.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Cut just the tops of the garlic heads, only to expose a bit of the flesh.
- Put everything onto a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, messy, drizzle with good quality olive oil, mix with your hands right on the cookie sheet, then spread all the veggies around to be as flat as possible. Sprinkle with sea salt, dry oregano, and pepper.
- Put in the oven at 425F for 50-60 minutes (keep an eye on it in the end so that nothing burns).
- While this is cooking, make a nice green salad with a simple balsamic-olive oil-maple syrup dressing.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions in the last 15 minutes.
- To serve: simply distribute the pasta in each plate, then add the oven-roasted veggies on top, with your hands, press at the bottom of the garlic head until the cooked garlic comes out and drop on top of the veggies, drizzle everything with a little bit of olive oil, sprinkle with cheese (if using), the raw walnuts, and the fresh oregano and basil.
- Enjoy right away!
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 965kcal | Fat: 43g | Saturated fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 780mg | Potassium: 2239mg | Carbohydrates: 119g | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 27g | Protein: 31g | Vitamin A: 114% | Vitamin C: 299.3% | Calcium: 38.4% | Iron: 41.8%