Did you laugh at the title? My weirdly delicious salad with natural pre- and probiotics! haha
Not sure where the weather is where you live, but in my neck of the wood, in Canada, it’s been a rough winter, very cold, but yesterday finally showed some signs that spring is coming, and that makes me feel pretty happy! I don’t hate winter, but I’m looking forward to spring and going back outside for running! 🙂
So, last week I made this salad, that I called my ‘weird salad’. It was basically due to the fact that my fridge was a bit empty and I had no lettuce or leafy greens of any kind, but I still wanted to eat something fresh and raw, so I whipped this up, and it turned out so good that I made it 2-3 days in a row… until I ran out of those veggies. haha
This super quick salad was made in about 5 minutes, and would be great to take for lunch at school or work (put the dressing in a separate container). I used the Sunflower and pumpkin seed crumble that I had left from this Cauliflower Soup recipe.
My Weirdly Delicious Salad with Natural Pre- and Pro-Biotics | Vegan, Gluten-Free
A combination of various healthy ingredients created this weirdly delicious salad with natural pre- and pro-biotics!
- 1 carrot (large) washed
- 1/2 organic red pepper (large) washed
- 1/3 organic English cucumber washed
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup raw naturally-fermented sauerkraut with kimchi spices, if possible
- sunflower and pumpkin seed crumble (see link in article above)
- Homemade whole-grain mustard dressing (see below for recipe)
- Make the dressing first: In a medium mason jar, or any other container that has a lid, mix 1/4 cup organic balsamic vinegar + 3 Tbsp organic old-fashioned wholegrain mustard + 1/3 cup good quality organic olive oil + 1 Tbsp medium grade organic maple syrup + a pinch of grey sea salt + freshly ground organic black pepper (optional). Shake really well and set aside.
- Grate the carrot using the large side of a cheese grater. Dice the red pepper and English cucumber. Put everything in a medium mixing bowl. Add a generous amount of the dressing (not all of it), and mix. Separate in 2 plates.
- Cut the avocado in half and either cube each half with a knife, or simply use a spoon to get the flesh out. Add 1 half of avocado per plate, on top of the salad mixture.
- Add about 1/4 cup of raw naturally fermented kimchi sauerkraut on top, and sprinkle a generous amount of the sunflower & pumpkin seed crumble on top.
- Drizzle a bit more dressing if too dry.
- Enjoy right away!
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 196kcal | Fat: 15g | Saturated fat: 2g | Sodium: 264mg | Potassium: 781mg | Carbohydrates: 16g | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 3g | Vitamin A: 6225% | Vitamin C: 56.4% | Calcium: 41% | Iron: 1.4%
Join our Healthy Community!
Receive Tips, Recipes, our Newsletter
and get a free Guide!
Leave a Reply