You know how much I love soups in the winter, and with this crazy cold season we’ve been getting, soups are a great choice, and an easy way to add more vegetables in our lives! This 20 min cauliflower soup with carrot chips + sunflower/pumpkin seed crumble is no exception!
Speaking of cold, my husband and I recently celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary in the warmth: we went to Jamaica for 5 days! Woohoo! It was a nice little break from the cold, but quite the temperature shock! It was -30C when we left Toronto and +27C when we landed in Montego Bay. Almost 60 degrees Celsius difference!!! Yikes! 🙂
Back to this soup. Super simple. Can be made in about 20 minutes or so, and the addition of the carrot chips and the sunflower crumble really adds another level to this soup. Yummy! This recipe was enough for 4 portions (we had some 2 nights in a row — I love leftovers!).
20 Min Cauliflower Soup with Carrot Chips + Seed Crumble | Vegan, Gluten-Free
Quick and easy, this 20 min cauliflower soup with carrot chips + seed crumble is great any day of the week, on a cold winter's night!
- 1 cauliflower head washed, coarsely chopped
- 2 organic white or yellow flesh potatoes peeled and cut into big cubes (potatoes tend to absorb pesticides a lot, so make sure to buy organic)
- 2 onion (large) peeled, coarsely chopped
- 946 ml organic broth of your choice (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 carrots (large) washed
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds raw, unsalted
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds raw, unsalted
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil for cooking
- 1 tsp coconut oil unrefined/virgin
In a large soup pot over medium heat, add a generous amount of olive oil (2-3 Tbsp), and sauté the onions for a couple of minutes, while you prepare the potatoes and cauliflower.
- Add the potato cubes and chopped cauliflower, sauté for about 5 minutes, or until it starts to get golden on the edges. Add the broth (if the veggies are not entirely covered, add a bit of water), cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the temperature to medium-low, and cook for 10-15 minutes, covered.
- While this cooks, slice the carrots using a peeler. Mix in a small mixing bowl with just a drizzle of olive oil, 2-3 pinches of paprika, a pinch of grey sea salt, and some freshly ground black pepper (to taste). Pour the mixture on a large cookie sheet and separate the carrot slices so that they are not touching (or barely touching). Bake in a 425F oven for about 5-8 mins, or until they start to crisp on the edges. Remove from oven.
In a medium size pan over medium heat (dry - no oil), add the sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Mix often. Cook until they start to roast gently, and add the paprika, garlic powder, and a pinch of sea salt. Mix. Wait about 20 more seconds, and transfer to a cold plate.
Using a food processor, or mini food processor, put the seed mixture into it, add the coconut oil, and pulse until the texture is like a crumble. No big pieces, but not powder either. Set aside.
- When the soup is cooked, remove from heat and carefully blend using a handheld blender. Add about 1 tsp of grey sea salt, mix, and serve immediately.
- Add the carrot chips and crumble on top.
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 295kcal | Fat: 15g | Saturated fat: 2g | Sodium: 987mg | Potassium: 1073mg | Carbohydrates: 30g | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 14g | Vitamin A: 5235% | Vitamin C: 31.1% | Calcium: 87% | Iron: 5.9%