Who wouldn’t want to wake up to this in the morning? Yum!!! Very easy to make, healthy, you can hide a whole zucchini in there, adding a bit of extra nutrition for the whole family, and it tastes amazing. What more do you want? 😉 This is a fresh and healthy twist on a classic. A delicious Lemon Zucchini Bread with blackberry glaze.
I love to bake a sweet loaf like this once in a while, it’s such a nice treat to warm a slice up in the morning, especially in the fall (or even in winter) when it gets a bit cooler, and enjoy just a few minutes before starting our busy days.
The addition of the lemon-blackberry glaze is totally optional, however, if you can, while blackberries are in-season, I highly recommend it! The addition of the sweet tartness of the blackberry juice is just awesome on this bread.
Lemon Zucchini Bread with Blackberry Glaze
This lemon zucchini bread is a nice change of pace by being naturally gluten-free and dairy-free. You can mix and match your favourite gluten-free flours, but just remember to use some tapioca flour/starch, just to make sure it’s not too crumbly. The addition of chickpea flour adds some protein, making it a nice and complete breakfast on-the-run!
Lemon Zucchini Bread with Blackberry Glaze (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan option)
A fresh and healthy twist on a classic.
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (not tapioca starch), could be substituted with rye flour if you are not allergic to gluten
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup whole organic sugar (Sucanat)
- 1/4 cup unbleached organic white sugar
- 3 organic free-range eggs (could be substituted for 3 chia "eggs" - mix 3 Tbsp of chia seeds with 1/2 cup warm water and wait for 5-10 mins)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 organic lemon (juiced + zested)
- 1/3 cup good quality organic olive oil
- 1 small organic zucchini (shredded, I use the big side of a cheese grater)
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts (coarsely chopped)
- 3-4 fresh organic or wild blackberries (crushed through a sieve, keep the juice)
- 1/2 tsp organic lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp organic icing sugar
- In a medium size bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients including the lemon zest (except walnuts).
- In a large bowl, using a whisk, mix all of the wet ingredients (except the shredded zucchini).
- With a rubber spatula, mix the dry mixture into the wet one, then add the shredded zucchini and walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into a 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan, and bake in a 350F (180C) oven for about 50-60 minutes, or until nicely golden and a knife or cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. (Don't wait too long either or you might not be able to get it out!)
- For the glaze: Mix the blackberry juice with the lemon juice and the icing sugar in a small bowl, with a fork, until the sugar is all dissolved. If it's too liquid, add a bit more sugar.
- Wait until the loaf is fully cooled down, and pour the glaze over, then put the loaf in the fridge to cool down.
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 244kcal | Fat: 11g | Saturated fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 318mg | Carbohydrates: 31g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Protein: 4g | Vitamin A: 165% | Vitamin C: 12.5% | Calcium: 65% | Iron: 1.2%
Join our Healthy Community!
Receive Tips, Recipes, our Newsletter
and get a free Guide!
This is a great alternative to more common gingerbread or banana bread, very tasty. I would never have thought to use zucchini in a bread like this but it’s delicious!
Thanks! I’m glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
This does look like a great treat for the morning or anytime! I like the combination of flours you have put in there and the zucchini, which will add lovely moisture. I’m pinning this to try!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
How awesome would a slice of this loaf be right now?! Love the blackberry glaze. Yum!
Thanks! 🙂 I’d love a slice too. lol