Almost 7 years ago, during a trip throughout Asia, we went to a small organic café on Shelley Street in Hong Kong called Life Organic Restaurant & Bar. It’s there that I had my very first taste of hummus. Hard to believe, I know, but it had always looked gross to me. But on this trip, halfway around the world, in an organic restaurant using only fresh delicious food (with lots of raw food) I decided to give it a try!
Sadly, it was so delicious that it ruined it for all of the hummus I’ve tried since then… hahaha Upon our return to Canada, I decided to reproduce what I had tasted there and came up with this recipe. I’ve served it to many of my friends and coworkers and got amazing comments on it, everyone was in love with it! I gotta say, this is some pretty awesome hummus! The only thing that could make it better would be to use sprouted chickpeas, just like they do at Life Café….
I can’t seem to find any better picture for this, probably because every time I make it, it disappears!
Delicious Hummus | Vegan, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free
(appetizer: 6-8 servings)
- 1 small can (398 ml) organic chickpeas, rinsed (if you have time, you can use dry chickpeas, let them soak overnight, up to 12 hours)
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- A small handful of fresh organic parsley, washed
- 3 Tbsp. high quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice (store-bought will not taste the same!)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds or 1 tsp. organic tahini
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until very smooth. If too thick, add a bit more olive oil and keep pulsing.
Optional: Drizzle a little bit of olive oil on top, and sprinkle a bit of cayenne or paprika powder, and chopped fresh parsley.
Serve with a mix of organic crudités (raw veggies cut in small pieces) like carrots, red and yellow peppers, cucumber, broccoli, mushrooms, etc. and some organic tortillas/nachos. Can also be used to make delicious vegan sandwiches!