So I’m on a toast kick. It happens every summer. It’s like my go to easy, quick & simple lunch or dinner, and an awesome way to enjoy whatever bounty I get from my own garden or fresh produce from my local organic farmers.
Basically, you just pile on whatever your heart desires on top of a toast. Some cooked, some raw. A great way to enjoy all the fresh local, in-season, and organic produce in your area. Easy enough? 😉 With or without dressing on top. For this one, instead of dressing, I went for a poached egg (of course, organic, free-range, and cage-free — always! No compromise on that. If you’re not sure why, search online and read more about how chickens are treated)
In this dinner, I piled on ribbons of raw green zucchini, cooked yellow Patty Pan slices, tiny baby orange and purple carrots, beet greens and garlic, raw peas and a poached egg. Super tasty! (if you’re vegan or can’t eat eggs, I recommend drizzling a yummy homemade dressing like this one, instead of the egg)
Summer Harvest Tartine | Vegetarian
Summer harvest tartine: When all your local organic produce are at their best, throw everything on toast, and put a free-range egg on it!
- 2 slices fresh organic bread of your choice
- 1 organic green zucchini (small) sliced in ribbons with a peeler
- 1 organic yellow zucchini or Patty Pan (small) sliced
- 1/2 carrots julienned
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh peas (shelled)
- 2 baby beets washed, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup beet greens washed, chopped in large pieces
- 1 garlic cloves minced
- 5 organic cherry tomatoes washed, cut in half
- 2 organic free-range eggs
- sea salt a few pinches
- extra-virgin olive oil for cooking
- In a large pan over medium heat, add some good quality extra-virgin cold-pressed olive oil, and sauté the carrots and yellow zucchini for about 3-5 minutes. You want them to stay crunchy but just have a nice roasted look. Add a pinch of salt, mix, and put aside in a plate.
- In the same pan, add a bit more olive oil, throw the beet greens, beet pieces and garlic, and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add a pinch of salt, mix, and set aside.
- While this is cooking, toast the slices of bread, and put a medium-size pot with water filled halfway to boil. Add a generous amount of lemon juice, reduce temperature to just over medium heat, then drop the eggs in the water, one at a time, as close to the water as you can. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then remove from water with a slotted spoon.
- Assemble: put the toasts on a plate, then put raw ribbons of green zucchini on top, cooked beet greens, carrots and yellow zucchini slices, fresh peas, poached egg on top, a few cherry tomatoes around.
- Enjoy immediately!
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 727kcal | Fat: 25g | Saturated fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 327mg | Sodium: 1487mg | Potassium: 1198mg | Carbohydrates: 95g | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 16g | Protein: 31g | Vitamin A: 6930% | Vitamin C: 54.6% | Calcium: 140% | Iron: 8.4%