I promised I would share this Classic Italian Chickpea Flatbread recipe on Monday, with my Sweet Potato & Coconut Curry, so here it is! I must say, this flatbread could not be any easier to make. Seriously easy! But, you have to be patient as you need to wait 3 hours before baking it!
The wait is well worth it! Easy, delicious, and even though it’s a traditional Italian recipe, it was Oh!-so-delicious to dip into that Sweet potato curry! Oh my! 🙂
I look forward to make this more often and use it with various things like dips, patés, sun-dried tomato pesto, cashew cheese, etc.
The recipe will give you a big batch! I used a smaller cookie pan, but I would recommend using a regular size cookie pan (with a large rim), as mine took too long to cook (it was almost 1/2″ thick instead of 1/4″). haha
Classic Italian Chickpea Flatbread:
- 2.5 cups organic chickpea flour
- 1 tsp fine grey sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground organic black pepper
- 1/4 cup good quality organic olive oil
- 3.5 cups spring, or filtered water (room temperature)
- a pinch of organic ground cayenne (optional)
- a pinch of organic paprika (optional)
- 1/4 tsp organic ground coriander (for an Indian or Mexican flavour) or oregano (for an Italian flavour) (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, put all the dry ingredients and mix with a large whisk (doing this will add air into the mix and make it lighter). Then add the water and whisk until it is smooth and without lumps.
- Set aside on the counter, at room temperature, for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, skim the surface with a spoon. Put the olive oil into the cookie pan (a cookie sheet with borders, not the flat kind) and pour the chickpea mixture into it. This will be very liquid, so be careful when you move it into the oven.
- Bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes, or until it’s starts to look golden on top.
- Once baked, remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then cut in pieces, and enjoy!