It’s been so cold this winter, I’ve made this warm oatmeal, apple and almond butter breakfast quite a bit lately!
Really quick, easy, warm and comforting. It’s also very filling and provide you with long-lasting energy that keeps you productive all morning! This is a variation of a previously posted vegan oatmeal recipe, this time I made it creamier and added natural proteins. Yum!
Warm oatmeal, apple and almond butter (vegan, no refined sugar) 1-2 servings
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup organic rolled oat flakes (old fashioned, not the quick oats)
- 1 Tbsp organic raisins
- 1 Tbsp dried cranberries (unsweetened)
- 2 generous pinches of organic ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup filtered water (or homemade almond milk)
- 3 Tbsp organic almond butter
- 1/4 cup organic applesauce, or 1-2 fresh apple, sliced
- maple syrup (medium if possible) to drizzle on top
- good quality olive oil
In a small pot over medium heat, drizzle a small amount of olive oil, and sauté the apple slices along with the raisins and cranberries for 3-5 minutes.
Add the rolled oats and the water, mix, bring to a boil, cover and cook on low-medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring a few times, until the texture is like a porridge.
Add the applesauce (if using), the almond butter, and the cinnamon, and mix.
Serve into a plate or bowl, drizzle with a small amount of maple syrup (it doesn’t need too much, the sweetness from the raisins and cranberries will help) and enjoy!
You can also add some fresh berries or banana slices, or for a decadent treat, a few shavings of really good quality dark chocolate. Yum!