Our anniversary is coming up and I wanted to create something pretty and pink, so I made this two tone pink chocolate cake, made with spelt flour and dairy-free, of course 🙂
Ever since I tried using fresh beet juice in my icing (like in these yummy vanilla raspberry cupcakes), I love making pink icing! It’s easy, totally non-toxic and safe for kids, and you cannot taste the beet at all since we only use a very small amount (1 teaspoon to 1 or 2 tablespoons, depending on how dark you want the colour to be).
A simple and healthy cake for a special occasion!
Two tone pink chocolate cake (dairy-free, no dye, low sugar, low gluten)
Dairy-free two tone pink chocolate cake made with spelt flour and beet juice icing! Healthy, delicious and non-toxic! Makes 8-10 servings.
- 1 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/3 cup unbleached organic sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder Dutch processed chocolate powder
- 3 organic free-range eggs (large)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar raw/unfiltered
- 1 cup rice or almond milk
- 13 oz organic vegan buttery spread (13 oz/368 g) (or you can use butter if you eat dairy)
- 1 lb organic icing sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp pure beet juice (fresh if possible)
- 1/4 cup organic raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 2 Tbsp pistachios coarsely chopped
- Prepare 3 x 6" cake pans by rubbing a little bit of olive oil all around and at the bottom, and then lining the bottom with parchment paper (cut to size).
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. I like to whisk the eggs first, then whisk the olive oil in, and then add the rest, always using a whisk.
- Combine the wet mixture into the wet mixture bowl, and mix well using a large rubber spatula, making sure there are no pockets of dry ingredients left.
- Pour the mixture equally into the prepared cake pans, and bake in a 350F oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool down for 10-15 minutes, then run a clean knife around the pans to release the cakes, and flip upside down on top of a cooling rack.
- Let cool completely (at least 3 hours).
- Prepare the icing: using a hand mixer, beat the buttery spread until it is creamy, then mix the icing sugar in, 1 cup at a time, until the texture looks like icing and holds well.
- Mix in the vanilla, and then the beet juice, add 1/2 tsp and mix it in and see if you like the colour.
- Add a little bit more beet juice if you wish, and mix well with the hand mixer.
- At this point, you will want to wait until you assemble your cake fully, add icing in between each layer, then put icing over the whole cake (make sure you divide your icing to make sure you have enough).
- If you wish, put a small wooden skewer (cut to size, making sure there are no splinters) in the middle of your cake to hold it all together more easily.
- Add your toppings on top, raspberries, cranberries, and pistachios.
- Put the cake in the fridge to set for about 30-60 minutes.
- Add the rest of the beet juice in the remaining icing, and beat with your hand mixer until fully combined.
- Use some of this darker icing to add another layer on the bottom half of your cake.
- Put in the fridge to set until ready to eat.
- Take the cake out of the fridge 30-45 minutes before eating (cake always tastes better at room temperature).
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 764kcal | Fat: 43g | Saturated fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 593mg | Potassium: 249mg | Carbohydrates: 89g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 64g | Protein: 7g | Vitamin A: 1855% | Vitamin C: 1.7% | Calcium: 96% | Iron: 2.6%
Note: This recipe may contain affiliate links for products that I use myself or approve of. By buying from these merchants, I receive a few pennies, allowing me to continue my work. Thank you for your support!