Today for Meatless Monday, I’m sharing one of the easiest lunch recipes ever, perfect for kids and adults alike (which makes packing lunches that much easier). This tuna pasta salad is a healthier version of a classic lunch! It could definitely be made healthier by adding more vegetables, whatever you like or have on hand (like sweet peppers are pretty good). Alternatively, if you don’t like pasta, or don’t have any on hand, you could use quinoa or couscous. 🙂
Pack a portion of this pasta salad along with a small green salad (like arugula and nuts or hemp seeds), a couple of cashew truffles (click on it for the recipe), a multigrain muffin (or two), some fresh fruits, a handful of raw nuts (almonds or walnuts), and a few slices of real cheese (made with raw milk). A yummy real food vegetarian lunch that can be for both adults or kids (depending on how much you pack).
Meatless Monday Special Lunch Edition: Tuna pasta salad
This Meatless Monday Lunch Edition features a healthy tuna pasta salad. The perfect vegetarian and gluten-free lunch to send with your kid to school!
- 1 gluten-free pasta of your choice (I used rotini made with a mix of quinoa, brown rice and amaranth)
- 1 can of wild-caught tuna (buying wild and sustainable seafood is the best)
- 1 large carrot washed, ends trimmed, cut into very small chunks
- 2 organic celery stalks washed, cut into small cubes
- 1 green onion (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp parsley minced
- 1 large dill pickle cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup organic mayo of your choice if it's too dry, add a bit more mayo
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Once cooked 'al dente', remove from heat and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process, drain and set aside.
- Simply mix all the ingredients in a big bowl, and enjoy for lunches!
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 142kcal | Fat: 6g | Saturated fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 367mg | Potassium: 256mg | Carbohydrates: 9g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 12g | Vitamin A: 3925% | Vitamin C: 7.8% | Calcium: 32% | Iron: 1.2%