I used to think that sandwiches had to have some sort of meat and/or cheese in order to fit in the traditional ‘sandwich box’, but as I got more and more comfortable in the kitchen and experimented, I realized that a sandwich can be anything in-between two slices of bread. The possibilities are endless! I always make sure to use healthy multigrain and wholegrain bread as well.
This can be a great Meatless Monday meal. It’s a sandwich, but with a little fancy twist, adding some yummy tahini dressing on top, and using freshly roasted veggies make it warm and satisfying. I made a white bean hummus, and then used a simple tahini salad dressing mixed with crushed fresh basil. Delicious and fresh!
You can use whatever bread you prefer, gluten-free if needed, but I recommend something healthier and tastier than white bread 😉
Roasted veggie sandwich with hummus and tahini dressing (vegan)
This roasted veggie sandwich with hummus and tahini dressing will show you that eating healthy or vegan doesn't have to be bland!
- 2 slices organic bread of your choice (multigrain, or spelt/Kamut, or gluten-free)
- 2 thick slices organic zucchini (cut lengthwise)
- 2 slices carrots (cut lengthwise)
- 2 slices beet
White Bean Hummus
- 398 ml canellini white beans
- 1 Tbsp organic tahini (fair-trade if possible)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika powder
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh parsley minced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup organic raw apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp organic tahini
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup or raw organic honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- Prepare the hummus by simply putting all the ingredients (for the hummus part only) in a food processor and pulsing until smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare the tahini dressing by combining all the ingredients (for the dressing part only) into a medium-size mason jar and shaking until mixed.
- In a large pan over medium heat, with a dash of olive oil, simply sear the slices of zucchini, carrots, and beets, about 2 minutes per sides.
- While this is cooking, toast your bread slices.
- If you have a pestle and mortar, use it to crush a few leaves of fresh organic basil, or use a spoon. It doesn't have to be perfect, just bruise and crush the leaves as much as possible.
- Assemble the sandwich: put some hummus on top of the bread, then put the veggie slices, add the crushed basil leaves and drizzle with a generous amount of the tahini dressing. Put more hummus on the other slice of bread and top it off.
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 2064kcal | Fat: 137g | Saturated fat: 19g | Sodium: 1324mg | Potassium: 4188mg | Carbohydrates: 174g | Fiber: 37g | Sugar: 31g | Protein: 52g | Vitamin A: 42335% | Vitamin C: 149.7% | Calcium: 676% | Iron: 20.5%