This is not your classic boring sandwich! A fancy Meatless Monday for One: Balsamic Mushroom Toast with grain mustard and roasted beets, bursting with flavours.
Happy Monday everyone, I hope you had a great weekend! How’s the weather where you are? Here it is smelling like spring is here to stay and summer is on its way. It has been a long winter!
Today’s recipe is made especially for all singles out there, or for anyone who happens to be cooking for just one! It tastes absolutely delicious, and if you serve it accompanied by a big salad, it is a nice hearty meal. And of course, you could make 2 toasts if you’re really hungry 😉
If you’d like to feed your whole family, just double, triple, or quadruple the ingredients… and feel free to add other veggies if you’d like.
Balsamic Mushroom Toast with Grain Mustard and Roasted Beets (vegan option)
In order to reduce the amount of pesticides we eat and introduce into the environment, I highly recommend buying as much organic food/produce as possible, especially mushrooms which are often sprayed with formaldehyde to preserve their freshness in the store.
- 7 cremini mushrooms (average size, not too small), washed, and sliced. You could use any variety of mushrooms you prefer.
- 3 Tbsp French shallot minced
- 2/3 cup organic baby spinach washed
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 beet peeled and cut into thick slices (I used a combination of red and yellow)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white wine (optional)
- 2 tsp grainy mustard (old fashioned)
- crusty bread of your choice
- organic Swiss cheese grated (or Daiya cheese for vegans, or no cheese)
- In a large pan over medium heat, add a generous drizzle of olive oil, and cook the minced shallots and mushroom slices until roasted (about 10 mins total).
- After 5-6 mins, push the mushrooms on one side so that you have enough to fit in the beet slices (you'll need enough slices to cover your toast). Add more olive oil if needed. Cook a few minutes each side.
- Add in the spinach, and the wine (optional), cover and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Drizzle a small quantity of balsamic vinegar (1/2 tsp), mix, let cook for 1 min.
- While this cooks, toast your bread slice, then generously spread some old fashioned grainy mustard all over.
- Distribute the roasted slices of beets on your prepared toast, and the mushroom/spinach mixture on top.
- If using cheese, sprinkle on top and broil in oven for 1-2 minutes, or until it starts to look roasted on top.
- Sprinkle the fresh chopped parsley on top, and enjoy right away with a large salad.
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 315kcal | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 540mg | Potassium: 1229mg | Carbohydrates: 58g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 13g | Protein: 14g | Vitamin A: 2515% | Vitamin C: 22.1% | Calcium: 108% | Iron: 4.9%
Note: this post may contain affiliate links.