Ok, I lied. Technically it takes longer than 5 minutes because it takes 25 minutes to bake, but only 5 minutes of prep time! 🙂
When strawberries are in season, like right now (if you’re living in the northern hemisphere anyway…), I want to enjoy these delicious fruits fresh or barely cooked, so this is what I made: a pie that contains barely cooked fruits. It’s awesome! So refreshing and delicious. It’s a pie, but you still taste the yummy fruits’ flavours. MMmmm! And to make it even quicker, I cheated by buying 2 pre-made organic pie crusts made with spelt flour (low gluten).
Strawberry, rhubarb and apple pie
- 2 pre-made organic spelt pie crusts
- 2 cups fresh local organic strawberries, each strawberry cut in 4
- 1 cup fresh local organic rhubarb stem, diced
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 organic lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup medium grade organic maple syrup (you can substitute 1/4 cup organic agave syrup if you don’t have maple syrup)
- 2 Tbsp organic corn starch (just to thicken it a bit and you don’t have a puddle of juice in a pie crust)
- 1 local organic free-range egg, whisked, for eggwash
Turn oven at 450F and bake the bottom pie crust with nothing in it for 7-8 minutes. While this is baking, simply cut the rhubarb stems, strawberries and the apple into small pieces, mix in a big bowl, add lime juice, maple syrup and mix. Add organic corn starch, mix well and pour everything in the pre-baked bottom pie crust, add the 2nd crust on top, cut a few small holes and put in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove and add the eggwash on top with a brush (or with a paper towel) and put back into oven for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until nicely golden (if your oven overheats too fast, turn it down to 425F).