This can be made with or without meat (vegan). Even with the meat, it contains so many vegetables in it, it’s super tasty and healthy! The classic meat and bean chili seems oh-so-hum compared to this. A classic, revisited! Delicious, healthy, just the way I like it!
You can easily make a double batch of this and freeze several portions for later use.
Always wait until the end to add the salt and the vinegar as it stops the cooking process for the beans.
P.S.: if you’re in a hurry, start cooking the meat first, and prepare the vegetables while that cooks, then transfer to a large pot and sauté the vegetables after. 😉
45 Min Healthy Chili (with or without meat)
Packed with vegetables, this hearty chili will warm you up and fill you up with nutrition and taste!
- 3 carrots (large) washed, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 onions (large) minced
- 3 stalks of organic celery washed and sliced
- 2 organic sweet peppers (green, yellow, orange or red pepper), cut into small dice
- 200 g organic cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 lb grass-fed organic ground beef (optional for vegan option)
- 709 ml diced organic tomatoes (1 large can) no salt added if possible
- 398 ml black beans rinsed
- 398 ml kidney beans rinsed
- 1 tsp oregano dry
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin ground
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 4 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar or 1/4 cup organic red wine
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 cup broth chicken or vegetables
- Freshly ground organic pepper to taste
- Sauté the vegetables in a large pan with some olive oil until nicely roasted, add all the spices, mix well, add a can of tomatoes and mix (this will get all of the grilled “bits” off the bottom).
Sauté the meat (if using) in a large pan with a little bit of olive oil on medium heat until nicely roasted, then add the 2nd can of tomatoes and scrape off all the bits at the bottom.
- Pour everything into the large pot, add the 2 cans of beans (rinsed) and the water (or broth), bring to a boil. Cover, reduce temperature to medium- low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar or wine, mix, and cook for another 5 minutes. Add sea salt and pepper, and mix.
Serve right away, with organic cheese of your choice (dairy or vegan) and a slice of crusty whole-grain bread, or healthy corn muffins.
Note: I do not believe anyone should worry about counting calories, but here is the nutritional information for one serving
Calories: 269kcal | Fat: 3g | Saturated fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 431mg | Potassium: 1109mg | Carbohydrates: 36g | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 23g | Vitamin A: 102.6% | Vitamin C: 75.5% | Calcium: 9.4% | Iron: 31.1%